Keeping Your Contacts Clean Is More Important Than You Think
When you leave our practice, we give you detailed instructions on how to care for your contact lenses. But most of us forget these instructions and become a bit lax about contact care.
Recent research shows that the majority of contact wearers do not properly clean or take care of their contacts.
Taking Care Of Your Contacts Is Critical To Eye Health
Wearing dirty contacts can lead to painful eye ulcers and other eye diseases including conjunctivitis. Some infections may be simple and easy to take care of, but others may be more complicated and could even lead to blindness.
Do’s And Don’ts For Keeping Your Contacts Clean And Your Eyes Healthy
[iframe http://www.youtube.com/embed/vPwvKmYzKCk?rel=0 620 349]
- Wash your hands with soap and water before inserting your contacts.
- Regularly change your contacts as prescribed.
- Use clean contact solution each time you store your contacts.
- Change your lens case at least every three months and keep it clean.
- Don’t lick your contact lenses before inserting them back in your eyes or storing them.
- Don’t swim or shower with your contacts in your eyes. This can trap dangerous bacteria in your eyes.
- Don’t sleep with your contacts in your eyes.
- Don’t share your contacts with friends. This can not only harm your vision but it could possibly lead to infections.
- Don’t keep contacts too long. They will become dirty and more difficult to clean.
If you are worried about your eye health or how you have been caring for your contacts, feel free to contact us. We’re here to help you.